Thursday, November 11, 2010

superhero capes and masks

So Im sitting at the breakfast table this morning, half awake wishing I was more than half asleep, when Jumeirah hands me a note from the depths of her school bag.
It tells me tomorrow is "S" say at school. And she needs a costume. And did I mention its TOMORROW? So she decides to be the Star she wore at the beginning of the year ( so long ago, shes such a different school girl now, thank goodness!) but I dont think that will work for a full day. So she starts throwing ideas at me: "A snake? or how about a Sea horse? OR I KNOW! ..." which is where I interrupted and said " How about a super hero?" And she agreed. :) Phew!

I had used a great pattern before and had great results in making a cape for my nephew and I knew it wouldn't take long.. its a pattern from Puking Pastilles ( its really cheap too!) and so I got to work making a supergirl cape. Fabric I got for about $9 at a local fabric shop down town that I whizzed to with two children after dropping Child number 1 at school and before I fell in a heap of crappy mum mess.. twasnt a great day. BUT! nevertheless, I WAS going to make a cape.

And sew I did ;)






Its reversible which I love, she can be two different people from the one outfit, and truly, its SO simple to make. She didnt want a letter on the back of it so its fairly plain, but its such a gorgeous colour that she will look great in it anyway.
Its also a touch shorter than I would have liked but she was happy cos she can sit down in it.
I also constructed a felt mask ( also reversible) using a simple mask outline and eye holes. Its done but cutting two layers and stitching the elastic between them. Again, not exactly as I would have liked but I am extremely time short so it will do!!





And it works well too!!



Its something really simple but fun to make. Why not whip up one for your little superhero??

3 comments:

  1. That turned out great! You did a fabulous job and she looks stunning as a super hero.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great Karina, you need to give yourself more credit!! You are an amazing and talented mum (and a pretty awesome friend too) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GORGEOUS! Your best ideas seem to come in these "stunned" moments, eh, girlfriend? GOOD ON YOU!

    ReplyDelete